Non-EU nationals basically require a visa to stay in Germany. The Foreign Office website provides all the key information about the visa regulations of the Federal Republic of Germany – including a list of visa requirements by country.

Nationals of those countries for which the European Community has abolished the visa requirement (Switzerland, Australia, Israel, Japan, South Korea, Canada, New Zealand and the US) do not require a visa for visits of up to 90 days in a 180-day period.

You can also obtain a residence permit from the immigration authorities after entering Germany. The Frankfurt and Berlin immigration authority websites provide answers to questions regarding entry, residency, study and employment.
Applicants must submit visa applications, together with all the necessary documents, in person at the diplomatic mission responsible for their place of residence. Applicants should contact the German embassy in their home country well in advance to enquire about the arrangements. Applications may take up to four months to process!
To apply for a language course visa, please register for a German course (DaF) at the SprachAcademy in Frankfurt or Berlin. As soon as the course and registration fees are credited to our account, we will immediately fax you our enrolment certificate for your visa application, and put the original in the post. The original version of this document must be submitted to the embassy with your application. Proof of accommodation, health insurance and income may also be required when applying for a visa. The embassy will require proof that you are in a position to finance your language learning in Germany. No public funds may be used to attend a language school. Instead of financing your study, travel and living costs from your own funds, a resident German host can also agree to pay these costs. The immigration authorities in the applicant's place of residence are responsible for such a declaration of commitment.
Immediately after entering Germany, anyone attending a German course at SprachAcademy Frankfurt or Berlin must undertake two administrative procedures in preparation for their studies:
- register their moving-in date/address with the local municipal office, - apply for a residence permit from the immigration authorities.

You will need to submit:
- your passport
- a current biometric photo
- language school enrolment certificate
- medical insurance
- financial evidence, e.g. blocked account or official declaration of commitment, and possibly bank statements.

Does your health insurance assure a sufficient insurance coverage for your abidance in Germany?

If your health insurance is not available in Germany, we advise you to sign up for an insurance.

If you need a visa for your German course, a health insurance is compulsory.

We can provide comprehensive insurance cover, if required: students with foreign citizenship and a permanent overseas residence can take out inexpensive medical, accident and liability insurance during their stay in the Federal Republic of Germany. We'll be happy to provide you with a suitable quote..

A private health insurance for language students from about 30, - € per month can be concluded directly here and the insurance confirmation can be printed out immediately! Private health insurance for language students

Who can be insured?
Any person between ages of 6 and 69 who is temporarily living in Germany or Austria and has not had a permanent residence in Germany or Austria for at least two years prior to entering the country.

What does the insurance cost?
The premium for "Klemmer Students Start" health insurance in the first 12 months amounts to € 31, for "Klemmer Students Basic" € 37 and for "Klemmer Students Premium € 42 per month.